RETEX: no textile to waste!
RETEX is a Euroregional partnership that transcends the boundaries of textiles: each used fibre presents a wealth of possible applications and markets.
The goal is simple: reduce textile waste and encourage innovation by developing new partnerships and different economic models, and by sharing knowledge to generate added value.
The project aims to recycle waste generated by the textile industry in addition to end-of-life (post-consumer) textile products. The ambition is to integrate as much of this material as possible into the manufacturing loop for new ecodesigned textile products, or even use them in different applications (open loop), for example in the plastics industry.
Innovation and the reduction of textile waste go hand in hand!
The RETEX project identified, tested and validated new textile recycling loops: three complete value chains, viable from a technical, environmental and financial perspective.
This was a big step forward for the real-world implementation of the circular economy principle.
A few figures:
- 40 questionnaires completed revealing 60,000 tonnes of matter purchased and 6,700 tonnes of offcuts
- 180 individual interviews
- 10 life cycle assessments
- 4 economic analyses
- 3 value chains developed with 15 technical specifications
- 12 workshops with over 300 different entities registered
- over 3,000 people attended our conferences in France and Belgium